third party vs email password
# support-questions
c
Hi. Implementing
ThirdPartyEmailPassword
recipe; I'm trying (on the backend) to detect from a user session, if the user is a social or email-password (or both ?) one. I can see the payload types from
getUserInfo
differ : thirdpartyemailpassword
Copy code
ts
{
    id: string;
    timeJoined: number;
    email: string;
    thirdParty?: {
        userId: string;
    } | undefined;
}
emailpassword
Copy code
ts
{
}
thirdparty
Copy code
ts
{
    thirdParty: {
    };
}
Is that
userInfo.thirdParty != null
supposed to be the legit way to differenciate between both ? Additionally : - what should be the behavior of a backend when trying to call
updateEmailOrPassword
on a thirdParty signuped account ? - is a user with both email-password / third party identities supposed to exist ? Thanks
r
> Is that userInfo.thirdParty != null supposed to be the legit way to differenciate between both ? Yes. > what should be the behavior of a backend when trying to call updateEmailOrPassword on a thirdParty signuped account ? If called for a third party user, this function will throw an error. > is a user with both email-password / third party identities supposed to exist ? No. They will be separate users. We will be adding the account linking feature which will allow you to merge the accounts into one unified user object.
c
Thanks for this fast and superclear answer. I'd suggest an entry point on the ThirdPartyEmailPassword recipe documentation (and potentially any "dual" recipe). Especially the last point was not super-clear to me (even after reading the WIP docs on account linking)
r
Fair enough 🙂 We shall consider 🙂
c
Another suggestion when I'm on it : this one :
Copy code
ts
import { User } from 'supertokens-node/recipe/thirdpartyemailpassword/index.js'
Declared as
Copy code
ts
export declare type User = {
    thirdParty?: {
    };
};
Could be a type union between
Copy code
ts
import { User } from 'supertokens-node/recipe/thirdparty/index.js'
and
Copy code
ts
import { User } from 'supertokens-node/recipe/emailpassword/index.js'
Like so :
Copy code
ts
export declare type User = ThirdPartyUser | EmailPasswordUser
--- It would unlock great TS features such as type narrowing and type guard. Like :
Copy code
ts
const userIsThirdParty = (user: ThirdPartyEmailPasswordUser): user is ThirdPartyUser => user.thirdParty != null
r
I see. Fair enough. We are working on an sdk change which will get rid of the different user types and have one common one anyway.