https://supertokens.com/ logo
#support-questions
verifySession throwing an error
# support-questions
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 9:20 AM
I am using the supertokens middleware in our backend; and seeing this error. Is it something that I should handle? {"type":"SessionError","message":"Failed to verify access token","stack":"Error: Failed to verify access token at Object. (/usr/src/app/node_modules/supertokens-node/lib/build/recipe/session/accessToken.js:89:19) at Generator.next () at /usr/src/app/node_modules/supertokens-node/lib/build/recipe/session/accessToken.js:44:75 at new Promise () at __awaiter (/usr/src/app/node_modules/supertokens-node/lib/build/recipe/session/accessToken.js:26:16) at Object.getInfoFromAccessToken (/usr/src/app/node_modules/supertokens-node/lib/build/recipe/session/accessToken.js:57:12) at Object. (/usr/src/app/node_modules/supertokens-node/lib/build/recipe/session/sessionFunctions.js:105:55) at Generator.next () at fulfilled (/usr/src/app/node_modules/supertokens-node/lib/build/recipe/session/sessionFunctions.js:15:36) at process.processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)","errMagic":"ndskajfasndlfkj435234krjdsa","fromRecipe":"session","isBoom":true,"isServer":true,"data":null,"output":{"statusCode":500,"payload":{"status":500,"error":"Internal Server Error","message":"An internal server error occurred","code":"UNKNOWN","data":null},"headers":{}}},"msg":"Failed to verify access token"}
r

rp

03/24/2023, 9:36 AM
Is it causing a 500 error to be thrown from your api?
also, which version of the python SDK are you using?
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 10:35 AM
Yes its causing a 500 error to be thrown; we are using "supertokens-node": "^13.1.2" Our backend framework is hapi(nodejs) and we are using the verifySession() middleware
r

rp

03/24/2023, 10:40 AM
Right. Let me have a look
have you added the supertokens middleware to your app?
@kakashi_44 can help here.
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 10:50 AM
Yes; its not like always crashing So the scenario where it crashes is when the user is successfully logged in; it interacts well with our apis...all good Now he leaves the browser open and comes back after 2-3 hours(probably the token expired by then); so our api is called...which has verifySession middleware; which throws an error
Btw @rp I am the espn-cricinfo guy
r

rp

03/24/2023, 10:50 AM
ah yea i know
it happens when the access token has expired
so instead of sending back a 401, it sends a 500 for some reason
have you added the supertokens middleware to your app?
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 10:52 AM
Yes yes; added using supertokens.init So all routes are working fine; including consumerOtp etc So no issue with the middleware I guess
--- So regarding the 500, should we handle it? Or you already know how to fix, and should we upgrade the app version? What do you suggest?
r

rp

03/24/2023, 10:53 AM
So the middleware is supposed to catch this kind of error and send a 401 to the client.
i mean the supertokens plugin
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 10:55 AM
This is my middleware code if it helps: supertokens.init({ framework: 'hapi', supertokens: { connectionURI: appConfig.game.supertoken.url, apiKey: 'our key', }, appInfo: { // learn more about this on https://supertokens.com/docs/session/appinfo appName: 'ESPNCricinfo Games', apiDomain: appConfig.global.baseUrl, websiteDomain: appConfig.global.webBaseUrl, apiBasePath: '/v1/game/auth', websiteBasePath: '/game/auth', }, recipeList: [ Passwordless.init({ flowType: 'USER_INPUT_CODE', contactMethod: 'PHONE', getCustomUserInputCode: (userContext): string => { return Math.floor(1000 + Math.random() * 9000).toString();//to generate 4 digit codes }, smsDelivery: { override: originalImplementation => { return { ...originalImplementation, sendSms: async input => { //my custom impl.. }, }; }, }, }), Session.init({ getTokenTransferMethod: () => 'header', }), ], });
specifically, added
await server.register(plugin);
to your app
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 10:59 AM
Yes added the plugin
I have not added ...supertokens.getAllCORSHeaders() I have instead specifically exposed additionalExposedHeaders: [..., 'st-access-token', 'st-refresh-token'],
r

rp

03/24/2023, 11:00 AM
that's still ok
let me investigate on our side. Maybe it's a bug with the hapi framework integration that we have.
also, which version of hapi are you using?
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 11:01 AM
Let me verify the plugin thing
I have enabled the plugin only for login routes i.e. /signinup/code /signinup/code/resend /signinup/code/consume /session/refresh /signout
So for these, its not giving any error So which means; your plugin handles such errors and sends 401 to the client is it?
r

rp

03/24/2023, 11:03 AM
yes
so you need to enable the plugin for all routes.
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 11:04 AM
You are awesome Hope that fixes things
Thank you
r

rp

03/24/2023, 11:04 AM
can you try and see if this works?
m

monish.chhadwa

03/24/2023, 11:05 AM
Sure, need to replicate the scenario in my local and then fix I have another prod issue to fix before that Shall I confirm this to you by 8pm?
r

rp

03/24/2023, 11:06 AM
yea sure.